The district traces its roots back to 1952 when Hummelstown Borough and the Townships of Conewago, Londonderry and South Hanover incorporated to form the Hummelstown Joint School District. East Hanover Township joined the renamed Lower Dauphin Joint School District in 1956. In 1966, total district consolidation was realized with the appointment of Dr. Henry R. Hoerner as the district’s first Superintendent of Schools.Today the Lower Dauphin School District is home to five K-5 neighborhood elementary schools, a middle school (grades 6-8), and a high school (grades 9-12). There is an elementary school building in each of the district's four townships. Hummelstown Borough is home to our fifth elementary building, our middle school, our high school and our district administration center.About 4,000 young people attend our schools; with about 1,700 at the elementary level, 1,000 in the Middle School, 1,200 in High School, and another 100 at the Dauphin County Technical School. As the make-up of our small towns has changed and our rural areas have developed, student enrollment in our District has increased over the last several years. Through the use of 'flexible boundaries,' we have been able to keep class size balanced throughout the District, with the average class size in the low- to mid-20s.The education of our students lies in the care of more than 300 educational professionals. More than half of those hold master's degrees or a master's equivalent.The map on this page shows the municipalities which make up our school district.