Sra. Houck Rm. 1001
High School Spanish 1
Welcome to Spanish class. My name is Mrs. Despina Houck and I am so excited to have the opportunity to teach your child about the Spanish language and culture. I teach three Spanish 1 classes. This will be my 17th year teaching at Lower Dauphin. I graduated from Lebanon Valley College and studied abroad at El Colegio de Salamanca in Spain. I have three very active children and in my free time, I enjoy attending and volunteering for their school and athletic events.
Course goals for the High School Spanish 1 class include:
Students completing this course with a 70% average or above are eligible to take Spanish II at the high school. Students should be prepared to actively participate. A cumulative final exam will occur at the end of the year. When you have successfully completed this course, you will be able to:
- understand a simple conversation in Spanish
- sustain a simple spoken conversation in Spanish
- create simple original dialogues in Spanish
- write sentences and simple compositions using correct grammatical construction
- read the target language with basic comprehension and answer content-based questions
- understand and appreciate the culture and people of the Spanish-speaking countries
Please feel free to contact me at any time throughout the school year with questions, concerns, and/or comments.