All notices from community groups must be reviewed and approved by the Superintendent or designee prior to access to District electronic media.
The Board shall direct the Superintendent or designee to use the following criteria when determining whether to permit information to be displayed and/or distributed to students as a District-approved distribution of information, posted on the District website. The Superintendent has the right and the duty to decline any request that fails to meet all of these criteria:
- The activity or information is of benefit to the children who reside in the District.
- The information promotes an activity that is either academic or cultural in nature. This may include music, art, theater, sports, or historical activities.
- The information concerns events that primarily involve District children.
- Requests are made at least five (5) full school days prior to the intended time for distributing or posting.
Categories of Groups
The Board may permit community notices by organizations that fit within any of the following categories:
Group 1 - School-sponsored student activities including official clubs, musical groups and intramural and interscholastic sports teams of the District.
Group 2 - School-related organizations including, but not limited to, parent-teacher organizations, booster clubs, alumni association, teacher’s association, Care Club, Communities That Care, and Lower Dauphin Falcon Foundation.
Group 3 - Other youth sports organizations, sports camps, and township recreational activities within the boundaries of the Lower Dauphin School District.
Group 4 - Nonprofit community, civic and service groups that service students of the Lower Dauphin School District or the local community.
It will be the right of the Superintendent or designee to determine the classification, and, as a result, the priority allotted, of any group wishing to use the District's electronic resources for the purposes of providing community notices.
All notices from community organizations Groups in 1, 2, 3 and 4 must be submitted to the district office in order to be placed on the District's website. Notices will be displayed on the Community Notices page of the LDSD website.
The following disclaimer will be displayed on the District's Community Notices web page, for Group 3 and Group 4 notices:
THESE EVENTS, PROGRAMS OR GROUPS ARE NOT SPONSORED OR ENDORSED BY THE LOWER DAUPHIN SCHOOL DISTRICT.
Group 2 organizations shall display the following disclaimer on their individual notices:
THIS EVENT, PROGRAM OR GROUP IS NOT ENDORSED BY THE LOWER DAUPHIN SCHOOL DISTRICT.
Group 3 and Group 4 organizations shall display the following disclaimer on their individual notices:
THIS EVENT, PROGRAM OR GROUP IS NOT SPONSORED OR ENDORSED BY THE LOWER DAUPHIN SCHOOL DISTRICT.
Right to Refuse
The Superintendent or designee reserves the right to reject notices for Groups 1, 2, 3 and 4 submitted for distribution or display by any individual or organization at any time. The privilege to use the district distribution system and its display areas is meant to serve all residents of the district as a community service and not to divide the school community or to insult or offend anyone. The right to refuse to distribute or display literature is reserved when deemed necessary in the public interest.
Responses to notices from Group 3 and 4 will not be returned or collected on District property or by any District personnel.
Complaints regarding the distribution or rejection shall be presented in accordance with Policy 906, Public Complaints.
The following guidelines will be used in interpreting the public interest:
- The organization shall not conduct its meetings and activities or publish public notices in a manner that incites others to disorder or encourages hostility, violence, or disregard for violation of legal obligations.
- The organization or its notice is not defamatory or abusive of other groups by reason of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Notices that promote any purpose that is unlawful will be rejected.
- Notices that promote partisan politics, support or campaign for a particular political candidate, or advocate a divisive political issue are contrary to the District’s interest in maintaining the appearance of neutrality will be rejected.
- Notices that are obscene, indecent, vulgar, or outside accepted community standard will not be approved for distribution or display.
- Notices that are libelous, or interfere with or advocates inference with the rights of any individual or the operation of the schools will be rejected.
- Notices that promote the use of tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, illegal substances or paraphernalia will be rejected.
- Notices that violate applicable copyrights, trademarks, or other legally protected interests will not be approved.
Send notices to Jim Hazen, district community relations coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org for review and posting to the LD website.